As it happens, the calipers went on quite easily. The only significant snag was that I couldn’t find my 15mm open ended spanner which is needed to grip the guide pins. I had to use an adjustable and this was a bit too thick. The brakes seem to work OK (the car stops!) but they feel quite a bit softer than they used to and much more like the feel of the brakes on the Fiesta. I think in a couple of weeks I’ll have another go at bleeding them.
Whilst I had my pressure bleeding kit attached (an excellent Christmas present from a year ago) I decided to have a go at bleeding the clutch. To my knowledge this has never been done and that is partly because you can only bleed it by pressuring the system. Anyway, I opened the bleed valve on the slave cylinder as directed and was shocked by the black gunge that came out. Never have I seen old brake fluid looking anything like it.